Location: Corfu Town
The New Fortress is a Venetian Fortress built on the hill of St. Mark.
The construction began in 1576 and was completed in 1645. The fortress overlooks the old port and is considered a masterpiece of fortress architecture. The most significant attractions of the New Fortress are the British barracks, the underground stoa, water ducts, ammunition storage rooms etc. The Museum of Ceramic Art is also housed here. Theatrical performances, exhibitions and concerts are also held on the fortress premises.